What is DOT Physical?
(DOT) Physical is a Physical exam that is required of people who drive commercial vehicles. The
point of a DOT Physical is to make sure that people who are driving commercial vehicles are
Physically, mentally and emotionally fit.
Who Needs a DOT Physical?
• Drive a vehicle to carry more than 15 people.
• Are paid to drive a vehicle to carry more than 8 people.
• Carry hazardous material in your vehicle that requires your vehicle to have a placard.
• Drive a vehicle on the interstate with a gross combination of weight rating, gross vehicle
weight rating or gross combination weight of over 10,000 pounds.
What you need to know about your DOT examination:
• If you’ve ever had surgery.
• Any medications you’re taking, including prescription and over the counters.
• If you use Tobacco, Alcohol, or illegal substances.
• Any health problems you’ve had.
• If you’ve failed a Drug test.
• If you’ve ever been dependent on illegal substances.
• Any symptoms you’re currently having.
For DOT examination we check:
• Blood Pressure
• General appearance
• Mouth and Throat
• Lungs and Chest
• Back and Spine
• Genital and Urinary system, including checking for hernias
• Extremities and joints
• Nervous system, including your reflexes
• Gait, which is how you walk
• Circulatory system, which is your arteries, veins, and lymphatic system
You’ve also had to have Urinalysis to check for Protein, Blood, Sugar and specific gravity.
These tests can tell your doctor if you need additional tests to check for other medical
problems. You may also have to have other tests if your doctor thinks they’re medically